Friday, January 16, 2009

The Body Shop "Moisturising" shower gel

I recently bought an Olive shower gel and not the other shower gels from Body shop because it specifically said "moisturising". I had an unpleasant sensation of skin tightening and a whitish dryness all over my body after bathing with it. Shock is a mild word for what I felt. Body Shop and all it stands for seemed like just another marketing farce. I felt cheated and foolishly foolish. I have of course, read the labels and they scream chemicals... but at least they should do what they say they will!

I mean, even an ordinary cheap soap does not dry skin like that. And to clarify, I do not suffer from dry skin, it's merely not oily. Where is the organic olive oil from the farmers' co-operative? Has it been completely overpowered by "necessary" chemicals to make the gel lather? Soap free gel lather, let me be precise.

I feel that I and people like me, who are natural beauty conscious are complete suckers for their propaganda. I have been using Body Shop for some time now. Been happy so far. So, very confidently I bought a big bottle of the gel, not a small one.

I am surprised that I wrote them a letter...I know what happens at "customer care". But I guess I was too upset. Incidentally the Tea Tree shower gel for oily skin does not dry my skin at all!

And wanna hear a joke? When I mentioned the dryness to the store lady, she tells me "Ma'am, you're not supposed to use the shower gel on your face." !!!!????? So now shower gels are only for specific body parts? Err... can they make that clear on their bottle?

The last time I fell for this natural product thing was at the famous "Khadi"... a ritha and honey shampoo for dry hair. The only use I could find for it, was to clean my bathroom... really, it was that bad. But the Body Shop would be too costly a floor cleaner.

My good sense always knows that it's only fresh homemade stuff that's guaranteed... besan followed by sesame oil is best for bathing and moisturising; simple and effective.... but as I said, I am a sucker for these empty promises.

Well, I'll tell you if I hear from the "ethical" company with "values".

No comments: